Thursday, March 29, 2012

Utilizing the Power of Positive Reinforcement

I don't care how confident or competent someone is, I've never heard someone say they don't want to hear what they are doing right (at least not say it and mean it).  We all need that reassurance now and then.  We need to know what we are doing is valued and that we, as human beings, as well as employees, are important.  
 I think we often take for granted that our employees know what we think of the work they are producing.  After all, didn't I tell you a month ago how much I appreciated your work on XYZ project?  Seriously, do I have to say something everyday? 


Well, maybe not every day but for most people positive reinforcement is music to their ears.  Nobody seems to hear enough about the good they are doing and feel like most of the energy is spent on the negative.  Just because you told someone they were doing a good job at their last performance review doesn't mean they are still doing a good job.  And in the volatile society in which we live, a little positive reinforcement and encouragement can go a long way.  


Positive reinforcement can be as simple as a "Great job on XYZ," "I really appreciate your effort and time on ABC," to "You know, when we talked during your last performance review I mentioned you needed to work on your presentation skills.  I can tell you took that feedback to heart - you've really improved."  


Be careful giving your problem employees positive reinforcement.  Sometimes if you are very specific with the feedback, they think they are doing well in everything and are now off the hook for whatever the issue was.  


Give me.  In general you can't go wrong when you provide positive reinforcement as long as you are specific and genuine.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts on this topic!