Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hey, I Think You Might Have A Blind Spot!

Harvard Business Review recently published an article titled "Are You The Boss You Need to Be?"  This title intrigued me and my first question to self was "Who defines what kind of boss I need to be?"  Fortunately for me (and for you too should you choose to read the article), the article did a pretty good job of answering this question (hint: it has to do with your paycheck).  

Maybe more importantly and so I don't re-write an already good article, it prompted another question that I hope to answer in this blog (or at least bring another perspective).  This blog is in response to the age old question asked by leaders for years and years and that is "Why do I need to develop?  I've been doing pretty well all these years if you ask me?"  And maybe you are right.  Maybe you have been doing pretty good. 
 


Or maybe you are just blind to your own weaknesses and opportunities for improvement.  You know what they say "You don't know what you don't know."


The big question I want you to consider is not "Am I doing pretty good?" I want you to consider this question, "Have I reached my maximum effectiveness level as a leader and how do I know?"


I could be wrong here but I don't think when your organization hired you as a leader they were looking for someone that was average, mediocre, or pretty good.  In this day and age, with the number of highly qualified people unemployed and hungry to work, pretty good just isn't going to cut it.  And do you really go home with pride at the end of the day after doing a pretty good job at work?  Just a little reminder here - YOU are the leader, the person responsible for exemplifying the behavior we want to see in all employees.  


So, have you reached your maximum effectiveness level?  I have a really bad habit of answering questions with questions.  I think only you can answer this question and maybe the best way to answer the question is by responding to a few other questions:  



  • Do you know how to handle the most complicated employee issue with ease?  
  • Are your team members consistently inspired and motivated to come to work and give their best more often than not? 
  •  Are they happy and having fun while being highly productive?  
  • How's your turnover?  
  • Are you able to balance your competing demands without working 16 hour days or wanting to kill someone?  
  • Have you asked your employees for specific feedback regarding your performance in say, the last decade (or ever)? 
  •  Are you learning and growing just as you expect your team members to learn and grow? 
  •  Are you mentoring other would-be leaders? 
  •  Are your team members empowered to make decisions within their scope of control?  



You know what the correct answer is to each of these questions.  Maybe by answering these questions, you will see your own need for development and eliminate any blind spots you might be harboring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts on this topic!