Sunday, March 18, 2012

Overcoming Your Leadership Weaknesses

We all have weaknesses.  I, for one, really hate to admit it, but it's true.  I guess that's what makes us human - we can't be good at everything so we need other humans to kind of complete the package.  
 


Some leaders have the misperception that they need to be good at everything in order to set the example.  That's defeats the purpose of teamwork doesn't it?  Even head coaches have assistant coaches that focus specifically on the defense or offense.  Shouldn't leaders follow a similar approach?


Regardless of the level of leadership in which you currently reside, you should consider hiring based on both needs of the team and your individual differences.  Let me be clear - I'm not advocating that you shouldn't continue to grow and develop in key area however, there are some skills that it would just be easier for everyone if you hired someone that was naturally adept in that competency.  


Examples:
Let's say for example, you aren't so organized.  Maybe you have a difficult time finding things and knowing where you need to be when.  This would be a good time to make sure the next person you hire has amazing organizational skills and ask them to help you out in this area as one of their job responsibilities.  
 


I am not naturally very detail oriented.  It gets me in trouble with my friends because I don't notice new hair styles or clothes.  I have to consciously work very hard paying attention to small details.  Don't get me wrong, I can do it, but it is draining for me.  On the other hand, problem solving and creative thinking is exciting to me.  So, whats the first thing I do when leading a team - I look for the most detail oriented person I can and they become my new best friend (not literally of course).  They drive me crazy with their details but I know they are the best person for me and my deficit.  


There are many books on the market related to building your strengths.  Tom Rath has one called Strengthfinders and Marcus Buckingham wrote a wonderful book titled "Discover Your Strengths."   I believe there is something to the concept of focusing on your strengths.  If you look at those that are really good at what they do, they have chosen to focus on what they love and where they excel.  This concept shouldn't be used as a cop-out though or an opportunity to say "I don't need to learn anything else."  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts on this topic!