Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Work Doesn't Have to Be So Serious - Have You Laughed Today?

Yes, I know business is serious business (hah, get it?).  You have metrics to make, quotas to hit, competitors gobbling up your profit share, and the economy is wreaking havoc on all of it.  I know it's serious.  And I know your job is tough, stressful, and demanding.  But if you can't laugh during the day at something I have to ask, "What's the point in working so hard if you can't find time to enjoy yourself just a little bit?"  If you can't find any joy in what you do each day, why on earth would you continue to do it.  
I ask this question for two reasons.  The first is for you but then I have to also wonder if you are a "fun hater" at work.  Are your employees afraid to laugh when you are in the office?  Do you think if they are laughing then they can't possibly be working?  Seriously, are you a "fun hater?"  


Just because it's "work" doesn't have to mean you can't have fun.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating everyone put a clown suit or become stand up comedians at work (although that might be interesting).  I love it when both of my children are in the house visiting.  I love it because there is so much joy and laughter.  I can't wait to get home and not only because I want to see my kids but because being around that much happiness makes me happy.  


What if we could feel that way at work?  What if there was so much joy and laughter that it didn't even feel like work.  I have worked in intensive care units where doctors and nurses knew how to laugh in spite of the seriousness that revolved around them.  If people that care for the sick and dying know how to have fun at work, I can guess a lot of you don't have very good excuses for why you can't loosen up a little.  Did you know  laughter is a great stress reliever and has also been shown to heal.  Here is a great article regarding the amazing power of laughter.


http://www.nutritionresearchcenter.org/healthnews/can-laughing-your-ass-off-heal-you/


If laughter has the same physiological effect as exercise, it means we will thing more clearly, problem solve more effectively, have sharper mental clarity, and be more productive.  Hmmm, I'm thinking more laughter in he work place might be a good thing.  


Have you laughed today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts on this topic!