Thursday, April 5, 2012

Is Your Idea of Motivation a Strong "Drop & Give Me 20!?"

I have to admit I have a tendency to see the best in others.  I like to believe that everyone is doing the best they can with what they know and believe.  That being said, "I've heard some very strange arguments regarding how to motivate employees."  Beyond the heading of "Drop and Give Me 20," here are just a few:

  • "Why should I have to motivate them.  Nobody has to motivate me."
  • "I'll show them motivation.  Does "Your fired" motivate you enough?"
  • "I told them how much I appreciated them during their performance review.  How many times do I have to tell them anyway?"
  • "Money is the only way to motivate my people and since my company won't let me give them more money, my hands are tied."
  • "Motivate the team?  Are you kidding?  I'm too busy for that."
  • "I don't have a budget for that.  Not happening."



If you gave me one of these responses and I were your HR person, it would take all my self control to not look at you quizzically and ask how you made it to a leadership role.  Being the professional I am however, and wanting to see the best in people I would come to the conclusion that you didn't know these were lame excuses.


Let me give you a bit of a news flash.  Here are a few things that are NOT motivating.

  • Trying to control people who are grown ups (paying their own bills, making their own decisions). Unless you work for the US Military, this is not the way we generally treat free Americans.
  • Micro-managing those that don't deserve it (it's okay to micro-manage low performers for a defined amount of time.
  • Threats
  • Belittling and Condescending tones (i.e. acting like you know it all).
  • An unhappy and boring workplace.
  • A workplace filled with gossip and political games.
  • Telling your employees "good job" once a year.
  • A boss that is too busy or uninterested in his/her employees to know or care about them.  
  • Working for someone who obviously doesn't like their job or employer.
  • Throwing money at all the aforementioned problems.
Motivating your team is not about time or money.  There are so many ways to motivate people. A kind word.  A project they are inspired by.  Having the opportunity to work with someone they respect.  Flexible schedules.  Showing that you care.  Asking about the family.  Creating a development plan.  Telling them the vision you have for them.  Tapping into a hidden talent.  Telecommuting.  Noticing when they seem to be having a bad day.  Encouragement.  Confidence in their success.  None of these cost money.  

And the bottom line . . . . if you are a leader, it's your responsibility.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts on this topic!