Thursday, December 1, 2011

Do You Have the Courage To Lead?

Leadership is not for those that lack courage.  It is a tough job.  You will be put into situations on a daily basis that require you reach outside your comfort zone.  Maybe it's because I'm from Kansas or maybe it's just because I was raised with the excitement of the annual showing of "The Wizard of Oz" but I can't help but think of the cowardly lion in this case.  I have worked with leaders for a long time and although many would not think of themselves as the cowardly lion, let me provide a few examples of NOT demonstrating courage.

  • Avoiding the conversation with your difficult employee because you are "afraid" of the outcome.
  • Implementing a process you feel is not in the best interest of the team because your boss told you to.
  • Not speaking up at a meeting when the group is trying to determine the best way to implement a new process because you think your idea will not be well-received.
  • Having great ideas for improvement but not sharing them because you aren't sure your boss will go for them.
  • Witnessing a peer doing something unethical and not doing anything about it. 
  • Avoiding the conversation with a peer that you have not been getting along with and it is impacting your ability to work well together. 
A core competency of leadership is courage.  In order to be effective, you have to be willing to have the tough conversations.  There is a bit of an art to learning how to have some of those conversations but it can be learned and it's really more about "are you willing to have them?"  Effective leadership requires standing up for what you believe.  Sure, sometimes the organization will make strategic decisions you may not agree with but I'm not talking about that - I'm talking about all the things within your scope of control.  Having a conversation with a difficult employee is within your scope of control.  Speaking up at a meeting is within your scope of control.  And calling a peer out on unethical behavior is within your scope of control.  But those actions require courage and confidence.  

So, what if you don't have courage?  What do you do?  Remember the Lion.  No, you don't go to the almighty Wizard and ask for it.  He really didn't have any power anyway, remember?  Courage is directly tied to confidence.  And you can improve your confidence with a little positive self-talk and becoming more competent.  It's like any task - as you practice it and become more competent, you also gain confidence.  

I remember when I first starting public speaking and teaching.  You wouldn't know it now, but I remember being a bit terrified at the idea of being in front of a large group.  When I was in high school I remember having to provide a speech at a community event.  In preparation for this event, I practiced, practiced, practiced the speech until I could practically give it in my sleep.  Knowing the material increased my competence and confidence.  Was I still nervous?  Sure I was.  And 20 years later when having to give a speech to a group of executives do I still get nervous.  Sure I do.  But I've learned there is a direct correlation between my competence and my confidence.  With increased confidence, I have more courage. 

Having difficult conversations with others or speaking up in a meeting with your ideas and suggestions may still make you nervous and be uncomfortable but with time and practice you will gain confidence which will equate to courage.  It will become easier.   It requires you take the first step.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts on this topic!