Wednesday, December 14, 2011

How Can I Help You? Treating Your Employees Like Customers

Back when I was a brand new leader I was fortunate enough to work for a company that believed strongly in leadership development.  I had the opportunity to attend many great training sessions and being an avid learner, was in the bookstore purchasing every new leadership book as soon as it was on the shelf.  There was one thing that stuck with me even to this day and I tend to notice it immediately in other leaders.  


Your Primary Objective as a Leader
Let me make sure we are on the same page to start this blog post.  If you are in a leadership position for an organization, your primary responsible is to Lead others.  Not to attend meetings.  Not to shuffle paper and respond to the 100 emails in the inbox.  Those things are important too, don't get me wrong.  And believe me when I say I've been in middle management and understand the competing demands.  That doesn't change the fact however, that your primary responsibility is to lead, guide, and direct others.  


If your employees are hesitant to come to you with issues, thoughts, ideas, or concerns because you always seem like you are running around with your hair on fire and don't have time for them, then you aren't doing your job.  Because, first and foremost, your job is to lead others.  That doesn't mean you have to drop everything each time Jack shows up at your door to tattle on Joe.  But it does mean the employees are your top priority and they should know without a doubt that this is the case.  


Implementing an Attitude of Outstanding Service
A long long time ago (okay, maybe not that long ago), I was creating a new department within an organization. I knew that providing excellent internal customer service was the only way our department would be accepted in this organization.  The mantra of our team was "How can I help you?" whenever we spoke to a customer on the phone or in person.  This was unusual for this manufacturing facility and it set us apart.  I watched our customers gain trust and respect for us by starting our conversations with this question.  


But I was soooooo busy, running like a crazy person from meeting to meeting, responding to voice mails as I ran to the next meeting.  And I was a major task master so there was nothing more gratifying to me than to mark another item off my to do list.  


The Tipping Point
Thank goodness something clicked one day as one of my employees apologized for bothering me.  I realized this team was the reason for our success and didn't they deserve at least the same respect and attentiveness from me as I demanded we provide our customers?  This is when I started making a conscious effort to put down my pen, phone, paper, and thoughts whenever one of them popped their head in the door.  Instead of my previous constant panic state I greeted them with a smile and a "How can I help you?"  In hindsight, that time was a blip in my day and I looked forward to seeing all of them and helping in any way I could.  What if we all treated our employees at least as well as we treat our customers (whether internal or external)?  It's worth a try anyway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts on this topic!