Monday, December 12, 2011

Basic Change Management Communication in the Workplace

Lack of communication and/or poor communication is surely one of the biggest downfalls and most costly mistakes for many organizations.  I am constantly amazed at the number of new initiatives that get "rolled out" with little to no information and an email with instructions.  With the number of emails we get these days at work, it's no wonder people feel baffled, confused and frustrated.  We roll out initiatives and get frustrated at those that don't "embrace the change" when we didn't provide enough information to even understand the change.  We've somehow lost the art of caring about others and taking the time to explain the purpose and benefit of a new initiative.  


In our effort to get more done, we've forgotten that in order for others to help us accomplish an implementation of any kind we have to generate the value for that person.  Maybe we've forgotten the human side of the equation and taken on a dictatorial "change or die" attitude.




Whether it is changing an existing process or rolling out an entirely new system of some sort, there are basically four questions that you should make sure you are answering in your communication message.  Take just a few minutes to think about your message before communicating it and you will be amazed by the decreased confusion and frustration normally accompanying a change.  After the questions listed below, I've detailed out a viewpoint from the employee regarding each question.  Hopefully, reading it in first person will make it more real and personal. 



  1. What's changing/happening?
  2. Why is it happening?
  3. How does it affect me?  Give me the truth.  Good/bad or indifferent. What do I need to do differently and/or what will the impact be to me?
  4. What happens now?

1.  What's changing? Tell me what is changing or happening.  It may seem like common knowledge but it's an excellent way to set the stage.  Don't sugar coat it.  And don't avoid telling me.  What I don't know I'll make up so it's best if you just give it to me straight.  Let me give you an example:  Let's say business has slowed down a lot and I don't have enough to do.  You have been thinking about adding to my job role but are hesitant to talk to me about it because you think I'll be upset about it.  I can see business has slowed down and I'm no dummy so I figure you are about to lay me off.  Consequently, I look for a new job.  In reality, you needed me in my role to get you through this slump.  What you should have done in this case was just have the conversation with me.  "Hey, you've probably noticed business has slowed down.  I feel confident it will pick back up.  You are a really important part of this business and I don't want to lose you.  Would you mind picking up the xyz responsibilities during this interim time?" Just tell me already.  

2.  Why is it happening?  Give me the cliff notes version of this.  I don't need to understand the five year history of why this decision was made but I do need to have a general understand.  And I might need more or less info than my buddy that I work with - we have different needs in that regard.  Start out with the basics and let me ask questions if I want more information.  Remember, I will make up information to fill in any gaps you leave so you are better off just telling me.

3. How does it affect me?  This is the most important point of all four of the questions provided. What I really want to know is "what about me?"  I want to know how this change will specifically impact me.  And if you don't know for sure, tell me that.  For example, if we are going to have layoffs, tell me that.  If you don't know if I will be laid off (or can't share it yet), tell me what you can tell me and then tell me when I can expect to hear more details.  I'm a grown up, I would much rather you be honest and straight with me that to find out from a co-worker or worst yet, the nightly news broadcast.  

4.  What happens now?  I really want to know what I need to do differently as a result of this change so I can help implement it.  If I don't need to do anything yet, tell me that and also tell me  when we will be talking about this change again.  I can't help you if I don't know the next steps so I need you to be clear in providing direction.  I don't have time to try to guess what you are trying to tell me so please be precise and articulate the next steps clearly.  

Just try it.  Write down the four questions and post them on your computer.  Every time you need to communicate to someone, think of those four questions and how you can utilize them in communicating more effectively.  And see if it doesn't result in a more response, receptive team that is better able to implement change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts on this topic!