Sunday, February 26, 2012

Learning from KU Basketball Team

I don't watch sports very often but when I do, I can't help but analyze the dynamics and leadership of the team.  It's a curse really.  Years ago, I played sports.  Throughout my professional career I've heard the analogies between sports and business.  Those analogies were largely about winning.  Although I have to admit, winning is the goal for all business endeavors, I picked up more from watching the KU vs. MU nail biter than just winning.
  


Being a blog about leadership I want to focus first on the coach and his role as it relates to a business leader.  If you watch Bill Self as the leader and you hear what the team members say about him, it's not surprising that KU does so well.   KU was down by 19 points in the first half of this particular game - the largest deficit in program history.  They came back to win by one point in overtime.  This was on their home court.  


Just about every sports announcer that televises NCAA says being in the KU stadium (Allen Fieldhouse) is at the top of their list as an announcer.  Why?  The fans are amazingly enthusiastic.  We'll get to that in a minute though. 


 At the press conference after the game, one of the players was asked what the coach said at half time that made them turn the game around.  His response was very thoughtful and calm.  I don't have a quote but he said something to the effect of "He told us games are won one play at a time.  Settle down and focus on each play."  The announcer even asked if there were stern words and the player responded "No.  He knows we're professionals and we know what we need to do."  You never get the sense from Bill Self that he's yelling and screaming at the team.  That's not to say he never does but I'm guessing it's the exception rather than the rule.  There is just this calm peace.  They practice, he makes sure he has the right players in the right spots, he makes sure they have the training and tools they need to succeed and then he trusts them to play the game.  You notice he doesn't run out on the court and play the game with them.  He guides and directs them from the sidelines.  And with 8 consecutive Big 12 Championship trophies, he must be doing something right.  


And when they win, he is just as excited as they are (see image above).


Now let's talk about the fans.  I was sitting in my living room watching the game but I could feel the energy, support, and excitement from the stadium.  At certain points the camera focused on a device indicating the decibel level of the room.  Let's relate that to business and the importance of having an enthusiastic and excited team.  What does it take to have a team that bands together?  Using the KU game as an example - a common purpose and a sense that you are a part of that win in even the smallest way, simply by being present.  The fans in the stands weren't playing the game but they were very much a part of it.  Can you imagine what that must feel like to know that everyone around you wants to see you succeed?  Maybe I'm a bit Pollyanna but I don't understand why we can't have that atmosphere at work.  As a leader, you can create that atmosphere by being inclusive, enthusiastic, and creating the common purpose.  


I could go on and on making the comparisons but I've promised myself ti make my blog posts a little more digestible (i.e. not so long).  If you are a leader, think about the concept of a winning team, engaging your team, treating them like professionals and trusting they want to win just as much as you want them to.  More than anything else, help them to stay focused on the goal.  


Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your thoughts on this topic!